Thursday, May 05, 2005

Kettering: 'I was ... running away from myself'

Merlyn Kettering, the so-called runaway inkman who went missing once the Anglo Leasing scandal hit the fans, issued a public apology through his family's pastor and said that he is getting professional help.

"Please may I assure you that my running away had nothing to do with cold feet nor was it ever about leaving Kenya," wrote Kettering, in a statement read by the Jennifer Wilbanks of Duluth, Ga.

"Those who know me know how excited I've been and how excited I was about the spectacular work we planned." his statement read.

Kettering said that he looked forward to the day when he would be strong enough to "speak for myself."

Kettering wrote, "At this time, I cannot fully explain what happened to me last week. I had a host of compelling issues which seemed out of control -- issues for which I was unable to address or confine."

"In my mind, it was never about timing," he said. "I was simply running away from myself and from certain fears controlling my life. Each day, I'm learning more about who I am and the issues that have influenced me to respond inappropriately.

"I am sorry for the troubles I caused and I offer my deep and sincere apology. I ask for forgiveness."

While he apologized to his family, friends, community and "others I may have offended unintentionally," he did not specifically address the Hispanic man and white woman he made up as kidnappers in the story he first told authorities.

No comments: