Monday, March 21, 2005

WWJoseD

Taking a Steroid to Heaven

At its March meetings, the General Board conducted a hearing to investigate the conduct of its staff. Concern has been voiced that, while members of Brethren congregations may or may not hold the General Board Staff as role models, the staff should be held accountable to the manner in which they conduct business for the Church. A large part of the hearing centered on the increased productivity of the staff and the questionable way that this is accomplished. Over the past several years the number of national staff has decreased while the workload has remained the same or, in some cases, increased. When asked about steroids or other performance enhancing substances one staff member responded, "I don't want to talk about the past, I want to stay positive. By that I mean, I want to stay cash-flow positive. Have I done some salty things in my time that would help sell a juicy tell-all book? Yes. Have I done things that would harm my endorsement deals? To that my answer is an unequivocal 'not sure.'"

The Board did not reach any conclusions at the end of their hearing but left matters such that an investigation could be continued at their next meeting.

No comments: